This article on Display Advertising Facts is updated for 2017.
Display Advertising Facts For 2017
Display advertising comprises of all the adverts that you get to see when browsing through different search engine result pages.
Almost every website in the world use some or other type of display advertisement.
Perhaps the major objective of most businesses and marketers behind adding display adverts on their websites is to drive torrents of web traffic, generate high-quality, sales-ready leads and boosting conversions manifold.
This clearly reveals:
Why display advertising has long ruled as an important weapon in the digital marketing arsenal of most businesses from across the globe.
But the question here is…
….is display advertising really rewarding?
You’ll be shocked to know:
A number of surveys and reports reveal that display advertising doesn’t produce good number of clicks, traffic and doesn’t necessarily help boost your conversions.
In fact, the engagement rate of display ads is incredibly low too.
This is a serious cause of concern for digital marketers and businesses.
Now, you must be wondering:
How do marketers tackle this issue?
Most of them take resort in these ads in the hope of garnering a good amount of clicks so that more people can directly come to the online business site of the ad owner.
Here’s the deal:
The standard 468×60 ads register a click through rate (CTR) of just 0.04%, while that of average banner ads is 0.1%.
Now, this is an alarming situation for businesses and marketers who have been pouring in huge amount of money into display advertising in the hopes of getting good return on investment (ROI).
Let’s Check Out Some Alarming Facts:
- A very small fraction of visitors click on display advertisements. The surveys reveal that only 8% of the website visitors account for 85% of clicks on the ads. What is more alarming that some of these clicks come from non-human sources!
- Are you sure that your banner ad will be remembered? Well, know that an average user is served more than 1,700 ads per month. Now think how many of these ads do you actually remember?
- Now, moving on to Click through Rates (CTR). Display ads generate an average CTR of just 0.1%.
- If your hopes rest on getting more clicks on mobile display ads, then this is going to shock you. More than 50% clicks on mobile ads are accidental. This means that a majority of people clicking on the ads are unlikely to buy from your online store.
- Even shocking is the fact that 56% of the display ads are never seen by humans.
Shocked? Aren’t You?
So, What Should You Do Now?
Given these stats, it isn’t too difficult to understand how grave is the situation for marketers and businesses who swear by display ads for driving traffic, generating sales-ready leads and boosting their conversions.
After all, what’s the point in investing on display ads if only a handful of users are going to click on it?
You might be wondering:
Are display advertisements a waste of time, money and efforts?
Here’s the deal:
Though display ads do not generate sizeable clicks and traffic, they still prove to be a great option when it comes to promoting your products, services and your brand.
Remember, 39% people click an ad if it is well-designed to spark their interest in a product they hadn’t previously considered.
Why? Let’s check out:
To highlight the positive side of these ads, we are quoting the words of John Lowell, Starcom USA SVP, Director, Research & Analytics head.
He says, “A click means nothing, earns no revenue and creates no brand equity. Your online advertising has some goal – and it’s certainly not to generate clicks. You want people to visit your website, seek more information, purchase a product, become a lead, keep your brand top of mind, learn something new, feel differently – the list goes on. Regardless of whether the consumer clicked on your ad or not, the key is to determine how that ad unit influenced them to think, feel or do something they wouldn’t have done otherwise.”
This statement clearly reveals that the success of display ads does not lie in its capacity to encourage more clicks. But its major purpose if to influence your website visitors to feel in a certain, positive way about your brand!
But here’s the Big Question:
Is it still possible to drive high-quality website traffic, generate sales-ready leads, boost your conversion rates and increase your overall revenue through display ads?
A resounding YES!
By ensuring an awesome display ad design.
Great Display Ad Designs Would Attract More Eyes & Website Traffic
We’re sure you wouldn’t agree that an awesome design and a great look and feel can immediately capture the attention of people.
And this is nowhere truer than in the case of display ads.
Needless to say, design is one thing that offers visitors or users with a realistic feel of the business. Rather, it is an ads great design that takes elements of your brand and showcases it to the world in way that’s even more awesome.
90% of the information transmitted to your brain is visual.
When people see your display ad and finds it interesting, their brain registers the design and recalls it later when they go out in the market or see your ads elsewhere.
Remember to keep your display ad designs memorable with professional layout. Be mindful of ensuring colors, typefaces, slogans and images that resonates well with your brand and the emotions of your target audience. So, even when the users do not click on your display ads, an excellently designed ad works up to your advantage highlighting the key attributes of your business.
Now that you understand how important a great design is for luring people to clicking on your display ads and to influence them to feel good about your brand, let’s check out what other benefits does display advertising offer in exhaustive details.
What Other Benefits Do Display Ads Offer?
Here are just there vital reasons why display ads are essential for your business and marketing strategy.
- First, display advertising does not interrupt the content that adjoins such ads. This means readers can still continue to consume your content without much interference from your ads. In fact, if presented in an artful manner, these display ads can prove to be a great accompaniment for your thought-provoking content.
- Secondly, with display ads, you can rest assured that people will get to know about your brand, products or services, even if they choose not to click on your adverts. This means even if your display ads do not yield clicks, they still promote your brand, products and services, probably better than most other means.
- Thirdly, you can use display ads for retargeting. Retargeting ads can be used to get attention of the people who have already visited your site, but abandoned it for some reason. You can contact them individually or collectively by showing them relevant retargeting ads and remind them of your brand, products or services. You already know their website behavior and browsing preferences from your past interaction with them. Therefore, you can create a more personalized retargeting ad to get them to spend at your site or make them stick to your site like superglue.
But you might be wondering:
How do I get that perfect design for my display advertisements?
Now, we’re sure you understand how important is a great design in order to lure people into clicking on your display ads and in terms of influencing them to feel good about your brand.
And that creative display ad designs communicate with your target audience and summon their attention and interest almost immediately.
But you’ll be shocked:
Only 40% businesses are able to ensure such creative display advertising designs.
Why is that?
This is because creating a display advert design is no mean feat and it takes a lot of money, time and efforts to craft a display ad design that actually converts.
But what if we tell you it’s easier than ever to source a display advertising design without having to burn midnight oil and without having to spend an arm and a leg.
Bold claim. Definitely!
But stay with me:
Hire the graphic design services of The Offbeat Story to source meaningful display advertising designs at pocket-friendly prices.
You wouldn’t need to break your bank and run from pillar to post.
The process of sourcing a creative and awesome display advertising designs from TOS is as simple as 1,2 and 3.
Simply fill up an easy design brief form and spare an hour for a free display advertising design consultation. That’s it!
With a little feedback from you, our expert team of graphic designers, illustrators, visualizers and visual artists will create a display advertising design you’ll love within just 7 days and without breaking the mold of your budget.
Yes! It’s that easy!
So, what are you waiting for? Contact us today and take your business to the next level with professional, memorable and creative display advertising designs.
Remember, display advertisement isn’t just for acquiring more clicks. Rather, it is a piece of visual artwork that yields enough power and potential to immediately capture the attention of your prospects and visitors and hold it until they end up spending on your products or services.
So do not dismiss display advertising from your marketing strategies as they can help you communicate your brand message easily, strongly and convincingly, which is much more important than just clicks and traffic to survive in today’s ever-so-competitive and ever-so-chaotic market.